Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom was presented with the Golden Gate Award by his wife, filmmaker Jennifer Siebel Newsom at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards at the Hilton - Union Square in San Francisco, presented nationally by Ketel One Vodka and Wells Fargo, and locally by Southwest Airlines. For more than a decade, Newsom has been a leading figure in advocating for marriage equality both in California and at the federal level. The Golden Gate Award is presented to those who, through their work, have increased the visibility and understanding of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.
International pop icon Mel B (Melanie Brown) presented Adam Lambert with the Davidson/Valentini Award. Lambert became the first out LGBT artist to reach number one on the Billboard 200 with the release of his 2012 album Trespassing and he has used his status to help advance equality and raise visibility of the LGBT community. The Davidson/Valentini Award is presented to an out LGBT media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equality for the LGBT community.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Award recipients announced Saturday in San Francisco:
- Golden Gate Award: Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom
- Davidson/Valentini Award: Adam Lambert
- Corporate Leader Award: San Francisco Giants
- Outstanding Film - Limited Release: Any Day Now (Music Box Films)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Kevin Keller (Archie Comics)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Why Aren't We Fighting for CeCe McDonald?" by Marc Lamont Hill (Ebony.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: TIE: Adam Lambert, Trespassing (19 Recordings, RCA Records) and Frank Ocean, Channel Orange(Def Jam)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism - Multimedia: "Edie Takes on DOMA" In the Life (ITLMedia.org)
- Outstanding Blog: Rod 2.0