Watching your sodium intake? Looking for more creative ways to season your dishes? Keep these five spices on hand and leave the seasoning salt in the cupboard!
1. Chili powder* – Tastes great in chili or taco meat flavoring. Also, try adding it to rubs.
2. Smoked paprika – Adds a deep brown color to bread-crumb casserole toppings, barbecue rubs or to seasoning blends for sautéing or searing any proteins. Also adds a great smoky flavor to marinades.
3. Lemon zest – Adds a lively taste to bread crumbs, breaded chicken tenders and fish sticks or to renal-friendly vegetables like eggplant or string beans. Also great in dressings and marinades, or mixed with dry spices and used as a rub for broiled or baked seafood.
4. Dried oregano – Enhances the flavor of scampi sauces and combines well with lemon zest. Gives steamed vegetables or tossed salads a fresh, earthy taste and aroma. Or add it to fajita seasonings, along with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and lemon zest.
5. Italian seasoning* – A blend of thyme, oregano, and basil is great for finishing off sauces such as stroganoff or gravies. Works well on baked, grilled, or sautéed proteins with lemon zest and a little oil. Or add it to lemon zest, juice, and olive oil to make dressings or marinade.
* Most brands are salt-free, but check to be sure you’re using a salt-free product.
Food Network Celebrity Chef Aaron McCargo Jr., star of “Big Daddy’s House” and frequent guest on Dr. Oz and The Chew, has partnered with Fresenius Medical Care, the leading network of dialysis facilities, to develop delicious, easy-to-make and budget friendly recipes and tips that work for people on restricted diets.