A Mother's Miracle Baby

A Mother's Miracle Baby

A year after being diagnosed in the womb with the usually terminal chromosonal disorder Trisomy-18,Mylah Perkins is still fighting

A Mother's Miracle Baby

Mylah Perkins wasn’t supposed to be born. The OB-GYN told Mina Perkins as much during her 19th ultrasound where she and a few members of her family had gathered to find out the sex of her baby.  After three years of trying to conceive, Mina and her husband were finally pregnant. She told EBONY.com, “It was a total surprise because we had wanted it for so long and when we finally decided to stop trying and just enjoy each other, I became pregnant. It was a really, really happy time.” She’d scheduled the gender reveal to coincide with her birthday, as present.  But Mina noticed that the ultrasound was taking longer than usual. “The [technician] kept acting funny; he was really quiet, going in and out of the room. I knew something was wrong.”  She was dazed when the gynecologist finally explained to Mina and her family that the middle part of her baby’s brain appeared to be missing. The baby’s hands were clenched.  These were signs of the life-threatening chromosomal disorder, Trisomy-18, that causes 50% of babies diagnosed with the disorder to be stillborn.  Only 10% survive to their first birthdays.  As an afterthought, the technician told Mina, “I’m pretty sure it’s a girl.”

Four days later, on Mina’s husband’s birthday, two doctors confirmed for the expecting parents that their baby girl had Trisomy 18.  One doctor Mina describes as “so negative. He was monotone. He said ‘The baby’s fate is sealed.’ That rang out for me. We’re sitting in his office and I’m just wondering ‘How did I get here? I’m supposed to be happy and you’re telling me my baby’s going to die?” Her doctor explained that there wasn’t any point in continuing ultrasounds because if the baby didn’t die in the womb, she would die shortly after. “He never addressed her as Mylah, he always called her ‘the baby.’”  The doctor explained to Mina her options. When he spoke about the abortion procedure – that he would stop the heart but she would still have to deliver, something moved in Mina. “The whole time I was pregnant, I never felt Mylah at all. But when the doctor started talking about abortion, she kicked me! That was just my confirmation from God when she kicked. We believe in God we prayed for this baby for so long. At that moment, don’t care about no clenched hands, I don’t care what type of brain defects she has, I was not going to end her life. When God decides to take her life then I’ll let Him do that, but I don’t have the right to take her life.”

The doctor was skeptical of their hope and left them with a genetic counselor and a social worker who offered them grief, loss and support resources including a book of poetry from mothers who had lost their babies or had aborted their babies. “I’m looking at [the social worker] like, ‘I haven’t lost my baby! Why would you give this to me?’ For a couple weeks I was in a really, really dark place.”  Finally, when a hospice organization contacted her, Mina had had enough. “I told them, ‘I don’t want anybody around me who isn’t positive. I’m having this baby and I have faith and hope and whatever is going to happen is going to happen, but I can’t have anybody negative around me.”  The hospice organization fully supported her, telling her, “As long as Mylah has a heartbeat, you celebrate her.” Mina was encouraged and bought premie baby clothes (9 out of 10 Trisomy-18 babies are born premature) and furniture and went ahead with her baby shower.  

Though the hospice organization provided the Perkins family with a great deal of support, the hospital where Mina’s baby received her diagnosis continued to prepare for the worst, even as Mina carried Mylah past full-term.  “The doctors put me in this large suite with a jacuzzi and the nurses brought [me and my guests] bagels and pop and I realized they were being so nice because they were prepared for death.  The doctors took a long time giving me the medicine to induce and even as I was having my contractions, no one [on staff] was in the room with me.  Then, a neonatologist came in just to tell me, ‘If your baby is born without a heartbeat, we will not resuscitate.’ It completely ruined my birthing experience because I believed I had done everything I could to bring Mylah into the world and I thought they’d do the same. I just prayed she would be born alive. I just wanted to meet her living.” 

Surrounded by her husband, family and church friends who were praying the whole time, Mylah Perkins was born alive after 41 weeks and 3 days.  “She was over 5 pounds! The doctors said Mylah was the biggest Trisomy-18 baby they had ever delivered.”  The birth was not without complications. “She did have trouble breathing and they bagged her



(Top Stories on Our Sister Site)

"Beyonce: Life is But a Dream" HBO New York City Premiere -Arrivals

Shop/LIFT: Beyoncé

by Aniesia Williams

Stay in the Know
Sign up for the Ebony Newsletter