Another look at the political week that was...
● Kentucky Senator Rand Paul does a real talking filibuster to block the confirmation of the new CIA Director John Brennan. While interesting to watch this nearly 12 hour filibuster failed.
● The talking filibuster is news because it’s very rare. Normally, Republicans simply block President Obama’s appointments, like they did again this week with Caitlin Hannigan who has been tapped for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
● Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez passed away after a two year battle with cancer.
● We are coming up on the 10 year anniversary of the Iraq War invasion and turns out the United States wasted $60 billion.
● President Obama officially signed the Violence Against Women Act Thursday, in a special ceremony with advocacy organizations in attendance.
● Senate Democrats are considering another push towards filibuster reform.
● The “new” Paul Ryan plan for Medicare is just as bad as the old Ryan plan.
Zerlina Maxwell is a political analyst and soon-to-be attorney. Follow her on Twitter: @ZerlinaMaxwell.