Twin Brothers Beaten Brutally in NYC<br />
<br />

Twin Brothers Beaten Brutally in NYC

Two young Black men were assaulted brutally in a racially motivated attack. So what took the NYPD so long to investigate?

by Danielle Kimberly, June 06, 2013

Twin Brothers Beaten Brutally in NYC<br />
<br />

The Parker Twins

On Sunday May 26th,  twin brothers Aaron and Kristin Parker were on their way home when they were brutally attacked on the lower East Side of Manhattan.  According to surveillance footage (see below), some 10-12 men surrounded the 31-year-olds between Sutra Lounge and 1st & 1st Deli.  Aaron Parker recalls, “I remember as we were trying to protect each other, we said 'There is peace here, we don’t want to fight and we are just on our way home.’”

Ariel Palitz, a co-founder of Sutra Lounge, was closing for the night when she heard the commotion outside, “I was told there was a fight outside but by the time I got to the window, the crowd had dispersed. One of the brothers was talking angrily outside. The ambulance and one police car was on the scene.”

That one police car would NOT follow the victims to Beth Israel hospital where Aaron Parker suffered “a concussion, facial fracture, bruising around the eye socket, a fractured chin, cornea abrasion, and a broken nose. He coughs up blood lately. They believe it’s draining from a pocket of blood in his chin because he was kicked in the head repeatedly. They tell us he will have to have surgery.  He’s in a lot of pain and he has a lot of numbing. The doctor says he might get the feeling in his face back and he might not,” according to girlfriend and popular natural hair vlogger, Cipriana Quann of Urban Bush Babes.

Although a statement was taken at the scene of the crime, no one followed the victims to document their injuries.  “I had to call 911 from the hospital since no officers from the scene of the crime followed up at the hospital,” states Quann.

A reluctant report was taken at the hospital by another officer who responded to Quann’s 911 call.  However; Quann would soon become an integral part of the investigation by putting the power of her cyber following and internal investigative skills to work. A follow-up was never made by the NYPD.

In fact, she says she"...called the precinct on Tuesday morning, May 28th to enquire about the complaint report number, since we were told to call then by police officers. Monday was Memorial Day.  We were told the case was closed. I proceeded to find out why the case was closed and was repeatedly told that it was because the victims stated, ‘they would handle it themselves’ which was a lie.”  The victim’s father called the NYPD to ask that the case be reopened; however, his request was ignored.

[WATCH] Survalliance Footage From Beating

NYPD Closes Case Immediately On The Brutal Attack Twin Brothers by 10-11 assailants in Manhattan

It was now three days after the attack and the victims had not heard from the NYPD.

“After seeing how frustrated my boyfriend and his brother were and how much pain and injury and after calling his father calling, I felt like there was no hope anywhere else. It really just came through the strength of my boyfriend; I just had to do something.” 

She took her frustration to her following on her blog, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. She then went to the scene of the crime on Wednesday, May 29th with her uncle in search of witnesses, clues, surveillance footage or anything that would give them a lead on who attacked her boyfriend and brother. She was met by a man named Moses, the other co-owner of Sutra Lounge; he asked how he could help. Surprisingly, he’d been contacted by Ed Litvak of The Lo-Downa local news outlet . He was aware of what happened the morning of the attack. Quann asked if there was any way they could view the surveillance footage for clues. What they found was shocking. It was the full footage of the attack from two different camera angles. Moses did not hesitate to make copies and hand them over to Quann. Thanks to cyber supporters bombarding Lisa Evers of Fox 5 News, Quann was able to have the footage aired on the 6 pm and 10 pm news. Before airing the footage; however, Evers contacted the police station to request a statement and hinted at the fact that she had footage of the incident. Quann reports that two hours before the footage aired on Fox news, Aaron Parker received a phone call from the NYPD. “They said they really needed to talk with Aaron and inquired if he had spoken with any press.”

Quann states that the police did not obtain footage of the beating until May 30th; however, Palitz of Sutra Lounge claims, “The same day we gave the footage to Cipriana, the NYPD came and requested footage from us as well. Moses downloaded the footage from them, too. I do not know what their motive was but ever since Cipriana left with the footage, they’ve been attentive and expressed their gratitude for our help in the investigation.” Help in the investigation? According

Stay in the Know
Sign up for the Ebony Newsletter