Though spring lips do pop, they rarely wow. Ceremoniously, sultry dark shades stop making an appearance once flowers bloom, but the current vampy lip trend is here to stay. Since the season’s fashion embraces all things vintage, it’s no wonder this retro look continues to transcend. Winter welcomed striking mattes, but spring’s dark plums and scarlet reds are glamorously glossed up.
Own the look with these tips:
When wearing a loud lip, the same rules apply. Your eye makeup should bow to the boldness of your pout. Rock tone-complimenting shadows like champagne, browns, golds or iridescent rose. Heat up your look with a winged-tip cat eye in a bold, black liner. Super sexy.
One of my absolute favorite shades is MAC lipstick in Cyber. This richly-hued plum glides on smooth and looks amazing on chocolate. Milani Color Perfect Lipstick in Chocolate Raspberry is divine, ladies. It’s a distinctive brown berry packed with intense color. Red lovers will fall head over heels for Manic Panic’s matte lipstick in Vampire Red, a deep, dark rouge.
When wearing dark lipsticks in spring, remember these tips:
1. Put concealer on your lips, first, to achieve the truest lip color. Apply one coat, blot, and apply a second coat for long-lasting wear.
2. Take the shade with you. This is common sense, but you don’t want to be caught out with a half-hearted lip shade. Plan to re-apply.
3. Add a coating of clear gloss sans the shimmer.
4. You can also use chubby lip liners as lip color. You will often find lip pencils in these deliciously dark shades, so go ahead and apply like a lipstick. Follow with gloss.
5. Darker shades usually leave your lips slightly stained with their hue. If you’re not interested in re-applying after a few hours, simply apply a little gloss and create a more toned down version of the color.