Spring has finally arrived. As we start to enjoy the warmer weather the yummy indulgences life has to offer become increasingly more difficult to ignore. Who doesn’t what to have cocktails with friends on a warm spring evening or indulge in that new exotic rich dessert?
You deserve it. You survived one of the longest winters on record.
Here’s a way to have your cake and eat it too. Incorporate daily detox practices that will help counteract the less healthy items we put in our body. Start to incorporate these 9 easy ways to detox your body every day and you can indulge and enjoy without guilt.
1. Drink hot lemon water. Begin your day by drinking a cup of hot water and lemon.
2. Tongue scrape. This is the best way to clean the tongue of accumulated bacteria and toxic debris from the night before.
3. Dry body brush. Before showering, dry brush your skin from head-to-toe, using long strides toward the heart. This activates the lymphatic system, and stimulates blood circulation it enhances toxin elimination through the body’s largest organ — the skin!
2. Drink raw green juice. Drink a fresh raw juice on an empty stomach. It allows your body to absorb the nutrients more quickly. My favorite detox elixir is a green lemonade: kale, celery, romaine lettuce, apple, lemon ginger. It’s delicious!
3. Eat detoxing foods. The liver and kidneys serve as the body’s filtration system, an essential component to overall health and cleansing. Add these cleansing foods to sweep out the toxins: parsley, cilantro, dandelion root, cayenne, turmeric, red pepper, garlic, lemon, lime, grapefruit, sea vegetables (seaweed salad, nori, dulse), artichokes, beets, cruciferous vegetables.
4. Use apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Olive Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar and seasonings create a delicious recipe for homemade oil and vinegar salad dressing. ACV alkalizes the body and helps detox the liver. Make sure to get the raw, unfiltered and organic variety.
5. Take Detox Tea breaks. Sip cups of detoxifying tea throughout the day. Look for ingredients such as dandelion root, ginger and burdock.
6. Move that Body / Sweat. Sweating is critical for removing toxins from your body. Take a spin class, a dance class or simply walk briskly for at least 20 minutes to break a serious sweat
7. Eliminate waste. Don’t forget the most important “move”. The optimal frequency is to move your bowels at least two times a day. Cleanse your colon by taking daily fiber supplements, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and incorporating digestive teas to help move your bowels, if needed.
8. Use hydrotherapy. An easy way to incorporate hydrotherapy daily is by alternating between hot and cold water every 30 seconds in the shower. Cold water stimulates, causing blood vessels to constrict, while hot water relaxes and causes blood vessels to dilate. The alternation of hot and cold improves elimination, decreases inflammation, removes wastes from tissues, and stimulates circulation.
9. Take a detox bath. End your week with a detox bath to further promote elimination of toxins, relaxation and pampering. Here are a couple of formulas for you to indulge in.
- Dead sea salts / Epsom salts draw toxins out through the skin. Use 2 cups and allow the salt to dissolve.
- Baking Soda a natural alkalizing agent that helps remove toxins.Use 2 cups and allow baking soda to dissolve.
- Essential Oils, Lavender or Rose oil aid in relaxation. Use 8 drops in your bath water.