A 17-year old Chicago teen who was shot in the head multiple times, presumed dead; and covered with a sheet by paramedics before bystanders noticed he was alive underneath, has died, CNN reports.

Paramedics thought Eric Carey suffered a fatal head wound when they arrived at the scene in Chicago’s West Side on Monday, police officials said. They reportedly covered him with a sheet and assisted other victims.

Onlookers told law enforcement and paramedics that they saw Carey move under the sheet, according to The Chicago Tribune.

“He is responsive,” an officer said on a released 911 audio. “He just moved … from side to side and his arms. So, he is not dead.” “We’ll have a unit go down and check on that male,” a dispatcher responded.

WLS reports that they were on the scene for “at least 15 minutes” before paramedics removed the sheet and began to administer CPR.

“He was shot in the head… I do understand that paramedics looked at him, believed him to be deceased, covered him with that sheet and moved on to another individual who was nearby who was also shot,” Chicago Police First Deputy Superintendent Anthony Riccio told reporters. “They saw motion, movement underneath the sheet. Officers who were present notified paramedics.”

Carey, who graduated high school a few days earlier, died at 1:19 a.m. on Tuesday.

Fire Commissioner Jose Santiago said that the paramedics were under investigation while the department tries “to piece everything together.”

Chicago experienced one of its most dead weekends of the year when 56 people were shot the weekend of June 15. Carey was one of the nine people killed, per CNN.

“To be honest with you, I was doubly shocked when I heard about Erin,” Carey’s family pastor, Rev. Charlie Dates, said.  “It’s one thing to hear about a kid … involved in an incident, but Erin was the exact opposite. … He was a friendly, respectful, quiet good-looking kid. He just had a great smile.”

Dates said that Carey was a summer intern at a senior living facility in the city.