In September, 11Alive News reported that a Fulton County judge ruled Gordon was “legally responsible” for Brown’s death after he failed to appear in court.
Fulton County Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford said because Gordon failed to appear twice and answer for the claims, anything alleged by the plaintiff was admitted through omission.
Following a series of testimonials from Bobby Brown, and friends of Bobbi Kristina, Judge Bedford assessed the damages and losses related to the January 2015 incident that left Brown in a coma, and to determine the value of her life.
“To determine the value of a life is pretty difficult. So the court has been back there primarily struggling with that particular issue,” Bedford said.
The judge awarded more than $36 million, broken down as:
- $1.575 million for money taken from the account, including alleged stolen rings
- $250,000 in punitive damages
- $1.37 million for assault and battery
- $13.8 million for pain and suffering as a result of assault
- $4.2 million in punitive damages
- $15 million for present value of life
The daughter of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston, Bobbi Kristina was her father’s fifth child and her mother’s only child. She was only 22-years-old when she passed away in July 2015.