Criminal charges won’t be filed over the death of legendary music superstar Prince, according to CNN.
Carver County Attorney Mark Metz made the announcement on Thursday saying that the singer died after he took bogus pills that contained the painkiller fentanyl. He died from an accidental overdose in 2016. He was 57.
Since there was no evidence showing how the “Purple Rain” singer got the pills, charges won’t be filed.
“Prince had no idea he was taking a counterfeit pill that could kill him,” Metz said.
The doctor who saw Prince in the weeks before he died,Dr. Michael Schulenberg, settled with the U.S. over allegations that he prescribed drugs to other people knowing Prince would take them. He agreed to pay $30,000 to the U.S., CNN reports.
Prince was found unresponsive in an elevator in his Paisley Park home in April 2016. None of the drugs in his home belonged to him, according to reports.
What's Your Reaction?
Teddy is a multimedia journalist who serves as the culture and political writer for EBONY. His work has appeared in NBC's Owned and Operated stations, as well as DNAInfo, which covered local neighborhood news in New York City. He received his Masters in Journalism from the Craig Newmark School of Journalism at CUNY in 2017.