There are two main reasons why many women are afraid to exercise and lift weights: The first is that they do not want to lose too much in the butt area or their sexy voluptuous curves, and the second is that they do not want to get big and bulky. In reality, exercise and lifting weights can actually help slim the thigh area and tone, sculpt and lift the butt. Although women cannot build muscle like men, some can get bulky if the weights are too heavy, diets are excessive in calories or too high in protein, or if they do not incorporate cardiovascular exercise in their exercise routine.
Women who wish to tone and slim down should try using lighter weights for the upper body and perform many repetitions (reps). For example: doing 2 or 3 sets of an exercise, each set consisting of between 15 and 30 reps of light weights between 5 – 12 lbs would be quite sufficient. In an effort to keep the butt and thighs plump and toned, lower body exercises can be done with more weight and fewer reps, for example 20 – 60 lbs for the lower body and reps of 10 – 15.
The best exercise for the butt and thighs are squats, lunges, single leg squats and step-ups. If you want to keep some curves and size, then use slightly heavier weights but fewer reps – if you want to tone and slim, then use lighter weights and more reps.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart
- Sit back, bend the knees, lower into a squat, keeping the knees behind the toes
- Press into the heels to return to stand
- Stand with feet together and hands on hips
- Take a large step forward bending back knee so it almost hits floor. Both knees bent at 90 degree
- Push through heel of front leg and return to starting position
- Repeat on opposite side
Single Leg Squats
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart, hands on your hip
- Balance on one leg, keeping your chest lifted squat as if you are about to sit in a chair. Knee stays in line with your toes
- Go as deep as you can without losing balance, return to starting position
- Repeat on opposite side f front
- Stand behind a 15-inch platform (step, bench, chair)
- Place the right foot on the step. Push through the heel to come onto the step.
- Concentrate on only using the right leg
- Step back down and repeat all reps on right leg before switching to the left leg
Lifting weights does not mean building large and bulky muscles. Keep the weights light, control your diet and you will not get bulky. Calories in / calories out is a simple equation and very good rule of thumb to control weight gain. If you burn 1,500 calories in one day and you consume 2,000 calories in one day then you are over-eating and will likely gain weight. Although it is not possible for a woman to naturally look like a man, lifting very heavy weights can make some woman get big and bulky, so keep it challenging but light. Also, do not forget the cardio – this will keep off the bulk and help give you a nice tone.
Slim down, keep your curves and avoid bulk by practicing regular cardiovascular exercise and eating a proper diet. Lift weights to tone and sculpt your curves!