Here are a few quick tips on how to save the environment and save money on your auto insurance premiums at the same time.
- Car pool or take public transportation at least once a week. Reducing the total miles driven can reduce your insurance premiums and it is good for the environment too. Not only will it save on the wear and tear of your car, reduce the cost of gasoline and other maintenance but driving less results in reduced auto insurance rates. It varies from provider to provider but 15,000 and 7,000 miles per year are two of the major price break points.
- Keep the commute to a minimum. Sitting in traffic isn’t good for you or the environment. Instead, plan your commute time. Living near your place of employment can greatly reduce the time it takes to get to and from work but so can time management. Try to time your travel during off hours and take advantage of the additional freedom to get your errands done at the same time.
- Hybrid Discounts. Some insurance companies are now offering hybrid car discount rates up to 10% off regular premiums. There may also be tax advantages so be sure to add up the full benefits of owning a hybrid for you and the environment.
- Don’t drive when you can walk. Do you catch yourself jumping in the car to drive two blocks to pick up bread or go to lunch? Make it a practice to walk if it is less than a quarter mile. It’s good exercise, better for the environment and will reduce the amount of miles you put on your car each year which can result in lower auto insurance rates.
- Search for “green” auto insurance companies. Reward those companies that are environmentally friendly and engaging in sustainable programs like the Carbonfund.org renewable energy credits or other “green” programs designed to offset emissions.
What's Your Reaction?