While it is always best to see larger furniture in person if you can, I am a huge advocate for online shopping for furniture and home goods. With the beauty that is online shopping, you can have your space decorated in no time. As we creep into spring (representing renewal and rebirth) you may find yourself ready to refurbish your living space. But when it comes to finding furniture online, you may be a bit unsure of where to start. No worries, I’ve put together a list of the best websites that will help you shop with ease.
Popular Online Stores
1. Wayfair: This is your one-stop shop for furniture in a hurry. It is definitely in my bookmarks. You can shop by almost any room imaginable.
2. Overstock: A great source for anything you could think of for your home. This is a great place for basics. I bought my bed and mattress from this site. Best. Move. Ever.
3. Crate and Barrel: C&B is a perfect place for classic furniture. My company uses this site a lot for our client purchases.
4. CB2: Crate and Barrel’s cooler little sister, has all of your modern home and apartment needs for a fair price.
5. West Elm: Pottery Barn’s hipper offshoot offers new furniture items with a cool vintage look. This site targets city-dwellers with its smaller scale pieces that are easy to assemble.
6. Jonathan Adler: Happy chic style finds a home in Jonathan Adler’s collection. You can find furniture, lighting, and accessories on this cheeky site.
7. Ikea: When you don’t feel like running the marathon that is Ikea the department store, point your mouse to the online store. Ikea makes me feel like wonder woman after figuring out how to put together their furniture with little help from those wretched assembly diagrams.
8. Amazon: Amazon has everything. Their customer service is awesome, so it makes me feel comfortable buying from them.
9. Etsy: The haven for centered items. There are endless amounts of shops where you can buy custom pieces that you won’t see anywhere else. Also great because you can choose what area of the world you want to purchase from and can even arrange pick up for some items.
10. All Modern: If you’re into that Mad Men décor, this is the place for you. The name says it all: Modern pieces with nods back to design periods of yesteryear.
11. DwellStudio: Cheery furniture and accessories that have a chic mid-century feel.
Lesser-Known Online Stores
12. South Shore Furniture: I love when websites have collections. This site goes above and beyond by giving you the décor style as well as what space the items in the collection belong.
13. Casa.com: Inexpensive accessories and furniture for every space in your home. This site always has great deals. I always head to their “Deal Shop” when I visit this site.
15. Lulu & Georgia: You have the furniture but now what? This site offer easily achievable decorating tips along with their colorful and classic home goods.
16. Zinc Door: The house for all things trendy. If you want contemporary pieces for your home, this site sources pieces from Jonathan Adler, Dwell Studios, and many other designers.
17. World Market: I will forever sing the praises of this site! They have the best prices hands down and have been so good to our apartment! Their pieces are so unique looking they will have everyone asking, “Where did you get that from?!”
18. Furbish: Quirky and eccentric pieces are staples of this online store. You’ll find unique new and antique pieces. If you love hypnotizing patterns and color blocking you must visit this site.
19. Home Decorators Collection: Perfect for your apartment or starter home. This sites showcases great affordable pieces. Their selection is ever changing so you never know what you may stumble upon.
20. Apt 2B: The affordable source for your furniture needs. This site has a warmth about it that makes you enjoy your time spent there. This site also offers “Complete Living Packages,” where you can buy several items to decorate a room at once for a lump sum…cool idea!
21. Module R: Bear witness to amazing storage solutions for small spaces. Stack, customize, and build to your heart’s desire.
22. C. Wonder: Make your home look well put together for the low-low. Accessories galore offer a preppy style with pops of color. There are many pieces on the site for under $50!
23. Z Gallerie: Oh you fancy, huh? This site gives its patron stylish lookbooks and chic collections to make the home decorating experience that much easier. Head to this site for luxurious and glam décor.
Vintage/Previously Owned Online Stores
24. 1st Dibs: The mecca for all things vintage. We also constantly frequent this website for our clients. This is the leading marketplace for antique pieces and classic collections.
25. ShopHousingWorks: This one is for my fellow New Yorkers. This is the thrift shop’s version of eBay. This site has furniture, accessories, and interesting artwork. If you don’t mind gently used belongings, this is an awesome site to peruse.
26. Décor NYC: A consignment gallery that offers designer pieces for moderate prices. The site is constantly introducing new furnishing, accessories, and antique treasures that inspire your decorating wits.
Flash Sale Online Stores
27. One Kings Lane: My favorite flash sale site. Always displaying an ever-changing mix of furniture and accessories, One Kings Lane is the ruler of all décor flash sites.
28. Joss & Main: Want to nab a celeb style? This site can give you that opportunity. They often commission designers to put together room décor styles based on their favorite items.
29. My Habit: Another great flash sale that happens to be the offspring of Amazon.com. They have awesome home décor and furnishing events. I saw posters of Kanye, Beyoncé, and Jay-Z on there yesterday, so I’m sold.
30. HauteLook: This is the source for your smaller home accessories. They also have great accent furniture for reasonable prices.
31. Fab: It has everything you never knew you needed! This site focuses on new and upcoming brands so you can have furnishings that shock and wow. And get into their new line of brightly hued textiles!
Department/Big Box Online Stores
32. Target*: Ah, Target. One could go on and on about your great finds and all of your majestic beauty. Y’all pretty much know how awesome the store is (online and in person). If you haven’t experienced it for yourself, I encourage you, nay I beg you, to see what all the hype is about.
33. Macys*: I am sure you are all familiar with Macy’s. Their site is great for basic houseware items and bedding. Make sure you check this site often because they have great one-day sales on their home goods.
34. JCPenney: Yes, Penney's. They stepped their department store game up and now carry great home good items from Martha Stewart, Jonathan Adler, and Terence Conran.
35. Anthropologie: The bohemian haven of your girly desires. That’s all *Miranda Priestly voice*.
36. H&M Home: I know I wasn’t the only one ecstatic when H&M opened their online store for its US patrons. Now you can shop for clothes and home pieces at the same time.
37. Pier1: Oh hi, worldly accents for reasonable prices. This site offers unique home décor, furniture, gifts, and so much more.
38. Zara Home: Another site that started off with fashion as their passion. They now have trendy tableware, bedding, and accessories to match their stylish clothing collection.
39. Room & Board: A staple for your modern furniture needs. This site is known for their upholstery furniture items. They offer great living room pieces.
40. Urban Outfitters*: We’ve been spending most our lives living in a hipster’s paradise. They have really cool furniture pieces that are surprisingly affordable. The site has great pieces that would add a fun pop to your adult home.