I’ve been using mashed cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes long before it became trendy. And then I discovered Cauliflower Cheesy Bread. I’d seen recipes for this pizza substitute popping up all over Pinterest with reviews that raved about how delicious it was and how similar to actual cheesy bread the final result would be. I tried a couple of the recipes that called for mozzarella cheese in the crust, but found that they didn’t hold together very well at all After a few tweaks, I created a recipe that will leave the pickiest carb lover asking for more.
- 1 Whole head of cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons basil
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
Basic Pizza Sauce
- 1 can crushed tomatoes or 2-3 cups finely chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/8 cup Turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
1. Set your food processor up with the grating attachment
2. Wash and chop the cauliflower into pieces small enough to fit into the neck of your food processor. Make sure to put the top on when grating the cauliflower florets so that you don’t end up with shower of cauliflower confetti allover your kitchen.
3. Place all of the riced cauliflower into a large bowl and microwave on high for 7.5 minutes or place it in a casserole dish and cook in the oven at 425 for 15-20 minutes, until soft.
4. Allow softened cauliflower to cool to the touch until you can handle it without burning yourself.
5. Once cooled, scoop the softened cauliflower into a tea towel. DO NOT USE A DISH TOWEL. The fibers of a regular dish towel will mush together with the cauliflower and make a mess. If you don’t have a tea towel or bar towel, use a clean cloth napkin to wring all of the moisture out of the cauliflower. Twist the fabric until the cauliflower becomes a tightly packed ball.
6. In the large bowl, mix together the eggs, parmesan, pepper and herbs.
7. Gradually mix in the dried cauliflower until it is the texture of a thick paste.
8. Dump the mixture out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten until the paper is nearly covered. If you are a pizza traditionalist and would prefer a round pie, then divide the dough into two sections and make round dough on two separate cookie sheets.
9. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes until golden.
10. Remove from the oven and top as you like. Below, you will find some suggestions.
NOTE: * Indicates those recipes that do not use the sauce listed above.
- 6 ounces Prosciutto
- 1 Roasted Jarred Red Pepper
- ½ cup Fresh Basil
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- 1-2 cups homemade sauce
- Cauliflower crust
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lay the prosciutto on your cookie sheet and place in the oven to crisp. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t become too tough.
3. While the prosciutto is crisping in the oven, dice the red pepper and chiffonade the basil into ribbons.
4. Remove the prosciutto from the oven. Allow to cool, then crumble into small rough chunks.
5. Smear the cooked crust with sauce. Make sure not to get it too close to the edge of the crust so that it will be easy to eat.
6. Cover the sauce with red peppers, prosciutto crumbles and basil ribbons.
7. Top with shredded mozzarella.
8. Return topped crust to the oven to allow the cheese to melt. If you are in a hurry, use your broiler.
9. Slice and serve.
Chicken Alfredo Pizza*:
- 1 jar store bought Alfredo sauce
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1-2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup of parmesan
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup fresh basil ribbons
1. Cover the cooked crust with the Alfredo sauce
2. Top with a bed of baby spinach.
3. Cover the spinach with the chicken.
4. Mix together the parmesan and mozzarella. Use these to top the chicken layer.
5. Sprinkle basil sporadically over the pie.
6. Return topped crust to the oven to allow the cheese to melt. If you would like it to become bubbly and melty faster, run it under the broiler of your oven.
7. Slice and serve.
- 2 cups diced chicken
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1-2 teaspoons of Bourbon
1. Mix the last three ingredients together well.
2. Stir in the chicken. Mix until all chicken is coated.
3. Cover the cooked crust with the saucy chicken mix.
4. Top with shredded cheese.
5. Return topped crust to the oven to allow the cheese to melt.
6. Slice and serve.
- 1-2 cups diced chicken
- 1 roasted jarred red pepper
- ¼ cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- 4 oz shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
1. Dice the red pepper
2. Mix together the chicken and the sweet Thai chili sauce.
3. Smear the cooked crust with sauce. Make sure not to get it too close to the edge of the crust so that it will be easy to eat.
4. Cover the sauce with red peppers and chicken.
5. Top with all of the shredded cheese.
6. Return topped crust to the oven to allow the cheese to melt.
7. Slice and serve.
What's Your Reaction?