They say everything’s big in Texas: Big cars, big homes, big hair and big talent. But when it comes to health, bigger is not always better. Last year, Men's Fitness named Houston the "Fattest City in America," and the Houston Department of Health and Human Services noted that a staggering 66% of H-Town area adults were overweight in 2009, up from 61% in 2002. The HDHHS explained that obesity in low-income areas in Houston is largely due to poor diet, the result of minimal access to fresh and affordable fruits and vegetables.
Here’s roadmap of Houston’s farmers markets, coops and vegan/juice spots to get you started.
1. 1. Canino Produce Farmers Market.
When: Everyday. 6am-8pm.
Where: 2530 Airline Drive.
2. Urban Harvest Farmers Market at Eastside.
When: Saturdays 8am-12pm & Sundays 11am-3pm.
Where: 3000 Richmond Ave.
3. Urban Harvest Farmers Market – City Hall Farmers Market
When: Wednesdays. 11am-1:30pm. REOPENS Sept.18th
Where: 901 Bagby St.
4. Houston Farmers Market.
When: Tuesdays. 3:30pm -7pm.
Where: Rice University Campus, University Blvd & Montclair Street
5. Midtown Farmers Market.
When: Saturdays 8am-12pm.
Where: 3701 Travis Street
6. Farmers Market at LaCenterra
When: Saturdays, 8am -1pm
Where: LaCenterra, 23501 Cinco Ranch Blvd. in Katy
7. Farmers Market at Imperial
When: Saturdays 9am -1pm.
Where:198 Kempner, Sugar Land
8. Tomball Farmers Market
When: Saturdays 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Where: Corner of Main (FM 2920) and Cherry in downtown Tomball
Juice Spots / Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants:
1. Green Seed Vegan Black owned Green Seed Vegan is a 100 percent vegan serving up local plant based cuisine and an elixir bar in the museum district at 4470 Almeda Rd. Green Seed was named No.9 vegan and vegetarian restaurant in the U.S.
2. Sunshine Vegetarian Deli and Health Food: Sunshine Health Food Store and Vegetarian Deli is located on the Spanish trail / south union section on 4915 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Sunshine is a socially responsible restaurant and store that promotes healthy living through food. Sunshine holds free health classes and special events to educate the Houston community about healthy food choices.
3. Juicy in the Sky: An all-vegan juice bar located in the Heights section of Houston at 238 West 19th Street. Juicy in the Sky offers fresh all natural juice combos, smoothies, lemonades, and shakes.
Crystal Whaley is a multiple Emmy award-winning & Peabody nominated film and TV producer, activist and image lover. Follow her on Twitter @CrystalAWhaley.