Cincinnati

Police Still Searching for Suspects In Fatal Shooting at Cincinnati Nightclub

Police have ruled out terrorism in this tragic shooting that left one dead and 15 injured

Cincinnati

A coroner's unit pulls away as police operate at a crime scene outside the Cameo club after a fatal shooting, Sunday, March 26, 2017, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

Gunfire erupted early Sunday inside a crowded Cincinnati nightclub after a dispute broke out among several men, killing one man and injuring 15 other people, authorities said.

No suspect was in custody by the afternoon and police did not think the shooting at the Cameo club was terrorism-related.



Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said one of the wounded was in “extremely critical condition.” A hospital spokeswoman said two other victims were listed in critical condition, but she had no other details.

Isaac identified the deceased as 27-year-old O’Bryan Spikes and said 15 others were injured, with some already treated and released from local hospitals.

Police began receiving calls at 1:30 a.m. about gunshots at the club near the Ohio River east of downtown Cincinnati. Isaac said some 200 people were inside the small club when an argument broke out among several men and some began shooting.

“What we know at this point in the investigation is that several local men got into some type of dispute inside the bar, and it escalated into shots being fired from several individuals,” Isaac said. It wasn’t clear how many people fired shots.

Chief Isaac said the club has its own internal security that uses detection wands and pat-downs, but that police believe several firearms got inside. Police said four officers were working security in the club’s parking lot and some tried unsuccessfully to revive the man who died.

Cameo’s Facebook profile said it caters to college students on Friday nights, when anyone over 18 is allowed in, while Saturdays are “grown and sexy night” for ages 21 and older.

This isn’t the first time violence has broken out at the club. A shooting previously occurred inside the establishment on New Year’s Day in 2015 and another took place in the parking lot that same September, City Manager Harry Black said.

During the incident, Police Capt. Kim Williams said there was “just a lot of chaos, obviously, when shots were fired.”

“Saturday night, it is a very young crowd. We have had incidents here in the past, but this is by far the worst,” she said.

Referring to initial speculation about possible terrorism, Mayor John Cranley said: “What difference does that make to the victims? Innocent people were shot.”

He called the shootings “unacceptable” and said authorities would work to find ways to prevent such violence.

A single body was removed by the coroner shortly after 6 a.m. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was also at the scene.

Among the injured, five were treated at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and released, hospital spokeswoman Kelly Martin said. She said two people were in critical condition and another two were listed in stable condition. She had no details on the types of injuries or the ages of the victims. The other people injured at the club were taken or drove themselves to other hospitals.

Authorities asked anyone with information to come forward. Investigators were checking to see if surveillance cameras were working, Williams said.

On Twitter, Ohio Gov. John Kasich offered condolences victims and assistance to local officials.

President Trump has yet to mention the shooting on Twitter, though he did tweet about the Republican’s failure to pass a healthcare bill.





Comments
 
Stay in the Know
Sign up for the Ebony Newsletter