We’re not exactly sure what famed comedian Bill Cosby could have taught youth about sexual assault considering he’s not been acquitted of the sexual assault charges against him by Andrea Constand, but that was the plan last week, according to his reps. Cosby’s publicist, Andrew Wyatt, announced The Cosby Show actor’s plan to educate youth on sexual assault through a series of town hall-style meetings. Now the 79-year-old comedian’s reps claim the town halls will have nothing to do with sexual assault. Instead they will focus on restoring his legacy.

On June 21, Wyatt and Ebonee Benson, a spokesman for Camille Cosby, the entertainer’s wife, appeared on Good Day Alabama, where they announced the plan for the town halls. “We are now planning town halls, and we’re gonna be coming to this city sometime in July,” Wyatt said. “To talk to young people because this is bigger than Bill Cosby. This issue can affect any young person, especially young athletes of today. And they need to know what they’re facing when they’re hanging out and partying, when they’re doing certain things that they shouldn’t be doing—and it also affects married men.”

Maybe it’s just us, but that sounds exactly like town halls centered on educating young folks about sexual assault.

Benson confirmed the plan and added, “Laws are changing. The statute of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended. So, this is why people need to be educated on a brush against the shoulder—you know, anything at this point can be considered sexual assault and it’s a good thing to be educated about the laws.”



But on Sunday Benson appeared on CNN New Day Weekend and backtracked. “I just want to be clear. The town hall meetings are not about sexual assault. I will repeat. These town hall meetings are not about sexual assault,” she said. In fact, Benson claims the town halls will focus on restoring the most famous TV dad’s legacy.

“When we initially talked about the town hall meetings, it was about restoration of legacy. Much to what Mrs. Cosby spoke on in her statement is the sensationalism brought on by the media,” Benson said. “This is another example of that. To take something that was meant to talk about the restoration of this man’s legacy that was destroyed by the media before he even had a chance to step into the courtroom. That’s what this is about.”

Cosby’s team seems to be under the impression that he has been found not guilty instead of recognizing the case resulted in a mistrial, and Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin R. Steele has said he will retry the case. Seeing as how Cosby has been accused of sexual assault by aproximatey 60 women, perhaps laying low instead of doing town halls would be the wisest move.



You may also like

Comments

More in News