Extremist group Boko Haram have killed 15 people in a terror attack near the northern Nigerian city of Maiduguri on Sunday, according to Reuters.
The latest attack has been the largest by Boko Haram since the Nigerian government began talks with the militant group, a military spokesman told Reuters.
A gun battle between the Nigerian troops and the terror group occurred late Sunday night in Maiduguri, which has been the site in an almost decade-long battle between both sides that has killed 20,000 people, reports say.
Sunday night’s attack also left 83 people wounded.
“Fifteen persons including a soldier have so far been confirmed dead in the encounter, while about 83 persons who suffered varying degrees of injuries are receiving due medical attention,” army spokesman Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu told Reuters. “It is clear that the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists are hell-bent on remaining relevant by attacking soft and vulnerable targets.”