Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. NUCLEAR SMUGGLERS SOUGHT EXTREMIST BUYERS Gangs with suspected Russian ties attempted to shop radioactive material in Moldova to buyers from the Middle East, an AP investigation finds.
2. SOUTH CAROLINA SEES SUN BUT WEATHER WOES NOT OVER Residents are preparing for a second round of expected flooding as rivers swollen from days of devastating rains make their way toward the Atlantic.
3. FIGHTING ERUPTS IN CENTRAL SYRIA Activists say Syrian troops backed by Russian airstrikes are battling insurgents in the northwestern provinces of Idlib and neighboring Hama.
4. WHAT LINKS OREGON, CONNECTICUT SLAYINGS Like Adam Lanza, the gunman in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, Christopher Harper-Mercer was living a mostly solitary life with a mom who shared his fascination with firearms.
5. QUESTIONS SWIRL AROUND U.S. STRIKE ON AFGHAN HOSPITAL Among them is whether the decision to open fire exceeded the authority under which American forces have operated since their combat mission ended nearly a year ago.