Former Secretary of State Colin Powell made it clear how he felt about Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, in leaked e-mails that surfaced Wednesday, calling him a “national disgrace” and an “international pariah.”
The e-mails, which were first reported by Buzzfeed News, were posted password protected on the website DCLeaks.com, a hacker site which posts e-mails from high level officials. It has been alleged to have links to hackers in Russian intelligence groups.
Powell didn’t mince words about his view of Trump and his behavior. Here are some of the gems that came out in the e-mails.
- “Yup, the whole birther movement was racist. That’s what the 99% believe. When Trump couldn’t keep that up he said he also wanted to see if the certificate noted that he was a Muslim. — On Trump’s association with the “birther” movement early in his presidency.
- Trump “is in the process of destroying himself, no need for Dems to attack him. [House Speaker] Paul Ryan is calibrating his position again.” — On his 2016 presidential campaign.
- There is nothing he can say that will sway Black voters so he might as well say it to White folks. He is at 1% Black voters and will drop. He takes us for idiots. He can never overcome what he tried to do to Obama with his search for the birth certificate hoping to force Obama out of the Presidency. — On Trump’s lack of rapport with the Black community.
- You guys are playing his game, you are his oxygen. He outraged us again today with his comments on Paris no-go for police districts. I will watch and pick the timing, not respond to the latest outrage. — To CNN’s Fareed Zakaria on the press playing into Trump’s hands.
But Powell, didn’t just take Trump to task, he also had a few choice words for Hillary Clinton’s camp. He was apparently irritated by her aides’ linking him into the controversy over her use of a private e-mail server while she served as Secretary of State. The Washington Post got hold of a few.
- “I have told [Hillary’s] minions repeatedly that they are making a mistake trying to drag me in, yet they still try. The media isn’t fooled and she is getting crucified. The differences are profound and they know it.” — To Vernon Jordan, a former adviser to President Bill Clinton.
- “They are going to d*ck up the legitimate and necessary use of emails with friggin’ record rules. I saw email more like a telephone than a cable machine. … Everything HRC touches she kind of screws up with hubris.” — To Democratic high level donor Jeffery Leeds.