EBONY.com and kweliTV are running a quarterly competition for emerging Black filmmakers whose winning work will appear on the kweliTV platform and covered on EBONY.com and a 12-month streaming deal and placement on kweliTV.
This contest is open globally. In this, our third time around, the theme of submitted work must be: SOCIAL JUSTICE.
There will be only one (1) winner per contest, who will receive a write-up on the ebony.com website and a 12-month streaming deal and placement on kweliTV.
Filmmakers with projects, between 8 to 20 minutes in length, are encouraged to review the stated theme for the first contest, and follow the posted submission rules at www.ebony.com/colortv in order to be considered by a panel that will include DeShuna Spencer, founder of kweliTV; Chan C. Smith, Multimedia Producer, EBONY/JETmag.com; and Kyra Kyles, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Vice President and Head of Digital Editorial at EBONY Media Operations, LLC.
April 19, 2017 – Contest entry period begins.
May 19, 2017 – – The deadline to submit entries ends at 11:59 pm CST.
June 1, 2017 – – The potential winner will be notified. The potential winner must respond to the prize notification within five (5) days of notification. If the potential winner is unable to submit their materials within this timeframe, the award will be forfeited and prize may be offered to an alternate Entrant.
NO ENTRY FEE REQUIRED
To be eligible for consideration:
1. You must fully comply with these Guidelines and Official Rules, including all deadlines, film length, entry materials and other requirements.
2. Film projects must be a minimum of 8 minutes and a maximum 20 minutes in length.
3. Film projects must follow the stated theme of the contest of celebrating Black culture via science fiction.
4. All entries are must be submitted with a completed Entry Form which can be found at www.ebony.com/colortv
5. Entrants must provide releases for talent featured in their film project. The release form can be found at www.ebony.com/colortv. Entrants are responsible for obtaining releases from individuals featured in their film project.
6. Format of film project. The film project, submitted digitally, must be between 8 minutes and 20 minutes in length.
7. Limit of one (1) entry per person will be accepted. Subsequent attempts made by the same individual to submit multiple entries by using multiple or false contact information or otherwise may be disqualified.
8. Be careful that your video and/or caption doesn’t inadvertently contain another company or entities trademark, logo or intellectual property because that may cause your video to be disqualified. Examples to watch for: a trademark/logo on a baseball cap, sneakers or t-shirt.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR FILM PROJECT
Go to www.ebony.com/colortv.
Note: It is your sole responsibility to ensure that your online entry form is properly submitted. Approximately 48 hours after you have completed and submitted your online entry form, you will receive an email confirmation.
EBONY.com and kweliTV (collectively “Contest Entities”), and contest judges have authority and discretion over these Guidelines and Official Rules and the administration of the Contest.
As a condition of entering the Contest, each entrant gives consent for the Contest Entities to obtain and deliver his or her name, address and other information to third parties for the purpose of administering this Contest and comply with applicable laws, regulations and rules.
Subject to applicable law, winners irrevocably grant the Contest Entities and each of their sponsors, licensees, and its and their successors, assigns and sub-licensees the right and permission to use their name, voice, likeness and/or biographical material for advertising, promotional and/or publicity purposes in connection with the Contest, in all forms of media and by all manners (now and hereafter known), and on and in connection with related products, services, advertising and promotional materials (now known or hereafter developed), worldwide, in perpetuity, without any obligation, notice or consideration except for the awarding of the prizes to the winners. Entrants agree not to issue any publicity concerning the Contest Entities.
By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any and all claims, liability, costs, losses, damages or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or related to any prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to entrant’s or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, related to participation in the Contest; or arising out of any violation of rights of publicity or privacy, or claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light; or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property; or from any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Contest activity and/or prize).
The Contest Entities shall have the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest, and reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion to: (a) modify, suspend or terminate the Contest should causes beyond Contest Entities control or (b) disqualify any entrant found to be, or suspected of: (1) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; or (2) acting in violation of these Official Rules.
All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of entrants or Contest Entities in connection with the Contest will be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Illinois.