Another look at the political week that was…
● The House Republicans appear to be backing down and may finally pass the Violence Against Women Act.
● Conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia calls the Voting Rights Act a “perpetuation of racial entitlement.”
● Justice Sonia Sotomayor passionately defended the Voting Rights Act, representing the liberal point of view on the Court.
● Sigh. It looks like we are going to have yet another government shutdown fight this month.
● GOP Congressman Louie Gohmert says the national debt is just like slavery.
● President Obama attends dedication of Rosa Parks statue in the Capitol.
● The "war on women" is still in full effect, as Oklahoma is trying to deny women birth control because anti-choice Republicans falsely claim it “poisons their bodies,” and a bill in Kansas will protect doctors who mislead women about their pregnancies.
● We are extremely lucky to have a Senator Elizabeth Warren who continues to be a vocal defender of consumers and a tough critic of big banks which caused the financial crisis.
Zerlina Maxwell is a political analyst and soon-to-be attorney. You can follow her on Twitter @ZerlinaMaxwell.
What's Your Reaction?