A look at the political week that was…
- The Tea Party’s favorite Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) is leaving the Senate for the conservative Heritage Foundation.
- DeMint’s choice to run for his seat is a freshman African American Congressman Tim Scott (R-SC).
- President Obama and Republicans are still trying to find a solution to the so-called “fiscal cliff,” but with Speaker John Boehner having little sway over his caucus it doesn’t look like a deal is going to get done before the December 31st deadline.
- President Obama won’t fall for the Republican trap of re-litigating the debt ceiling fight as part of the “fiscal cliff” deal.
- Same sex couples in Washington State are getting licenses to get married now that marriage equality is legal in the state.
- Newark Mayor Cory Booker lived off food stamps this week
- Republican thought leaders say that the party will reach minority voters by “persuad[ing] them to think of themselves primarily as Americans.” They just don’t get it.