After years lurking on the fringes of the social conservative movement, expect to start hearing a lot more about E.W. Jackson, an African-American minister who just won the GOP nomination for Virginia’s lieutenant governor. Jackson won the nod at the party’s convention in Richmond Saturday, “thanks in part to what was far by the best-received speech of the day,” Politico’s Jonathan Martin reported.
We’ve been aware of Jackson for some years and while it’s difficult to pick so few, here are 10 quotes from the conservative bishop to give you a sense of how he views the world.
1. On gay people: “Their minds are perverted, they’re frankly very sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally and they see everything through the lens of homosexuality. When they talk about love they’re not talking about love, they’re talking about homosexual sex.”
2. On gay people (again): “Homosexuality is a horrible sin, it poisons culture, it destroys families, it destroys societies; it brings the judgment of God unlike very few things that we can think of… It’s an authoritarian, totalitarian spirit.”
3. Political predictions: Jackson said a few weeks before the 2012 election that Black voters would “overwhelmingly” vote against Barack Obama because he had endorsed marriage equality. Over 90 percent of African Americans voted for the president.
4. On Democrats: “I liken them to slave masters who brag about how good their slaves are and how well-behaved they are but let them try to be free, let them try to escape and then you find out that they don’t really think very much of them.”
5. On Planned Parenthood and the KKK: “Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to Black lives than the KKK ever was. And the Democrat Party and the Black civil rights allies are partners in this genocide.”