Last Friday afternoon, Superior Court Judge Robert Ervin declared a mistrial after a North Carolina jury attempted to determine the fate of Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Officer Randall Kerrick, who fatally shot college football player Jonathan Ferrell, 24, after a September 2013 car crash, according to CNN. The jurors’ vote counts were consecutively 7-5, 8-4 and 8-4, without indicating which way the sides were voting. The jury was considering a felony voluntary manslaughter charge, which involves someone either using excessive force in self-defense or shooting without the intent to kill. After the lunch break on Friday, the jury foreman indicated that there had been worthwhile discussions. At 4:30 p.m., he came back to say those discussions hadn’t led to any change. Ervin asked whether any more discussions would be helpful, or whether reflection over the weekend might lead to a breakthrough. The foreman asked the jurors and they replied no on all counts

Earlier on Friday, St. Louis’s Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce announced that her office would lead an investigation into the shooting death of Mansur Ball-Bey in addition to the investigation conducted by police reports St. Louis Post Dispatch. The investigation is a departure from the typical practice of awaiting the results of the police investigation before conducting her own. Police Chief Sam Dotson said two officers fired at Ball-Bey on August 19 as he pointed a gun at them while trying to flee from a raid. One officer fired three times and another fired just once.  Police said Ball-Bey did not fire; no officers were hurt. An autopsy revealed that the only round that struck Ball-Bey hit him in the mid-to upper-back, according to St. Louis Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Graham.

A New Jersey grand jury declined to file charges against two police officers for fatally shooting Jerame Reid during a traffic stop, which was captured by their patrol car’s dashboard camera, prosecutors said Thursday, according to the Associated Press. The officers told investigators that they feared for their lives during the December 2014 stop of the 36-year-old, according to a statement from the Cumberland County Prosecutor’s Office. Reid was pulled over on December 30, 2014, after it ran a stop sign. Bridgeton police officers Braheme Days and Roger Worley commanded him to remain stay still after Days reached into the car and removed a handgun. Days shouted, “If you reach for something, you’re going to be f—ing dead.” Days told his partner, “He’s reaching for something.” Faintly on the video, Reid can be heard telling the officer: “I ain’t doing nothing. I’m not reaching for nothing, bro. I ain’t got no reason to reach for nothing.” The video shows Reid disregarding the orders and exiting the car with his hands up.

Days told investigators that he believed Reid “had a weapon or was planning to take the handgun(s) out of his hands.” Prosecutors said Days fired seven shots and Worley fired once. The shooting lasted for about 2 seconds. Reid was struck in the chest and left arm. Bridgeton police Chief Michael Gaimari said the officers remain on paid administrative leave pending consultation with prosecutors and city officials. Reid’s widow, Lawanda, filed a $1 million federal civil rights lawsuit accusing the city of condoning excessive force by its officers. In a press conference on Saturday, August 22, the mother and family of Jerame Reid said they would seek a federal investigation into the shooting.

Autopsy results in the shooting death of an unarmed 18-year-old reveal that in he was shot in the face by a police officer from several feet away during their confrontation outside a Walmart parking lot in Virginia, reports The Guardian. A copy of autopsy report was obtained by The Guardian from a source who was not authorized to release it to the media, along with a separate toxicology report from state forensic investigators that said William Chapman’s blood showed no traces of alcohol or drugs. Portsmouth on 22 April. The Virginia autopsy was carried out the day after Chapman’s death. The report also said Chapman’s hands were cuffed behind his back. Babineau, the attorney for Chapman’s family, said scuff-like abrasions on the 18-year-old’s face and chest indicated he was rolled on to his front, cuffed, then rolled back again, after being fatally shot.

Officer Stephen Rankin and William Chapman engaged in a physical struggle after Rankin tried to arrest Chapman on suspicion of shoplifting from the Walmart, according to police. Witnesses said Chapman broke free and then stepped back towards the officer aggressively before being shot twice. Rankin was placed on administrative leave after shooting Chapman. Virginia state police completed an investigation into the shooting and handed to Stephanie Morales, the Virginia commonwealth’s attorney for Portsmouth. The prosecutor also requested “additional investigative work” and tests by the state department of forensic science, according to Tamara Shewmake, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor.