Prince’s body was cremated Saturday, and a private ceremony held for his family in the wake of his death after he was found unresponsive at his home in suburban Minneapolis.

Medical examiners completed an autopsy on Friday, performed by Dr. Quinn Strobl, the Carver County Medical Examiner, at the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Ramsey, Minn.  The exam took about four hours, according to a statement released by Martha Weaver, the agency’s spokesperson.

She said “relevant information” related to Prince’s medical and family history would be sought. Information about the examination would not be released until results are complete. A full toxicology report could take weeks, according to the statement.

“Several of the pieces of information that are gathered in that process will be sent to labs for further testing,” said Weaver.

At a Friday afternoon press conference Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson, described the known circumstances surrounding Prince’s death.

At 9:43 Thursday morning, sheriffs received a medical emergency call from Prince’s Paisley Park studio and residence in Chanhassen, Minn. Emergency responders found him collapsed and unresponsive in the elevator at the building. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Prince Rogers Nelson, 57, was pronounced dead at 10:07 a.m.

He was last seen alive about 8:00 p.m., Wednesday at Paisley Park, Olson said.

“Staff members from Paisley Park had been unable to contact Prince yesterday morning and went to check on him,” said Olson. “They found him unresponsive and called 911.”

Upon entering the residence, police did not find anyone else there, indicating he was alone at the time of his death. It is unclear how long he had been in the elevator where he was found and medical examiners will have to provide that information. Olson would not specify if any items were recovered from Paisley Park, pending the investigation.

He said deputies secured the area and processed the scene as per normal police protocol. The Midwest Medical Examiner was contacted and Strobl responded.“There were no obvious signs of trauma on the body at all,” said Olson, also remarking that officials have no reason to believe currently that the death was a suicide. The body was transported to Strobl’s office for the autopsy.

The investigation into the cause of Prince’s death will remain open until the autopsy results are complete, said Olson.

Meanwhile, Prince’s death has sparked a global outpouring of grief from fans, with hundreds gathering outside his studio and in downtown Minneapolis and many more posting remembrances on social networks. Buildings around the country were lit up Thursday night in his signature purple.


This story has been updated.