The family of Stephon Clark, an unarmed Black man who was killed by Sacramento police last year, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the officers involved in the shooting and the city, CNN reports.
The suit was filed on Monday and claims that Clark was racially profiled and that cops used excessive force in the incident. It also alleges that the officers did not identify themselves to Clark or give any verbal warnings to him before they shot at him 20 times.
"When the facts are fully disclosed, we are confident that a jury will deliver justice that reflects how grossly the police land city officials failed Stephon, his family and the people of Sacramento," Brian Panish an attorney for Clark's children said in a statement to CNN.
According to the Sacramento County Coroner’s office, Clark was shot seven times, three of them being in back. An independent autopsy commissioned by the family said that he was struck eight times, six times in the back.
Officers said that they were responding to a call that a man was breaking in into car windows and was in a backyard on March 18. Police arrived and ended up chasing the man, identified as Clark, into his grandmother’s backyard, eventually shooting him.
Cops alleged that Clark was pointing a gun at them, but no gun was found and at the scene, and officials determined that he was carrying a cell phone.
The family is seeking $20 million in damages, plus funeral and burial expenses, per CNN.