Finding a good nude lipstick for deeper complexions can be frustrating. With so many options out there, it's tricky tracking down one that is natural yet complimentary. I can’t count how many times I've been excited about a barely-there color, but then ended up looked like an extra from The Walking Dead.
Well, if graveyard chic isn't exactly your cup of tea, I totally feel you. Celebrity makeup artist Nick Barose, whose clients include Lupita Nyong’o, Uzo Aduba and Danai Gurira, explains, “It’s challenging because if the makeup looks ‘nude’ in the tube, chances are it’ll be too light, pasty and unnatural. When thinking nude, think organic. You want shades that could be your own lip color but fresher, rosier and with a bit more pop. Avoid anything really brown since it’ll end up dull.”
From pinky peach to chocolate hues, we’ve rounded up some of the best products that work well with rich mocha skin, so you can be #teamnude and slay all day. Ranging from high-end brands to drugstores finds, we’ve got you covered.
1. Shea Moisture Lip Crayon in Calixta, $9.99, sheamoisture.com. “This ultra moisturizing lip crayon with a deep nude tint is perfect for daytime to add moisture and a hint of fresh tone to the lips.”
2. Tom Ford Lip Color in Deep Mink, $52, tomford.com.
3. L’Oreal Color Riche Lip Color in Spiced Cider 755, $7.99, ulta.com. “It has a pinch of brick orange in it so lips look neutral but with a pop.”
4. Mac Amplified Lipstick in Half n Half, $17, maccosmetics.com.
1. Make Up Forever Aqua Lip WaterProof Lip Pencil in 06C Chocolate Brown, $19, makeupforever.com. “Nude lips can blend too much into the skin tone, so define it a bit with a darker shade lip pencil, but apply with a light touch so the line is not severe or too defined. I love this one.”
2. Mac PatentPolish Lip Pencil in Clever, $20, maccosmetics.com. “This is another one of my favs on other celebs. It has berry in it to make lips look fresh.”
3. NYX Slim Lip Pencil in Coffee, $3.50, nyxcosmetics.com.
4. Mac Lip Pencil in Chestnut, $17, maccosmetics.com.
1. Lancome La Laque Fever in Plum Wave, $27, lancome-usa.com.
“Many neutrals on dark skin actually don’t look that way in the tube but have a bit of plum and bronzy tone to it. On Lupita, I use this color.”
2. Black Up Lip Lacquer in VL 09 Cafe au Lait, $23, sephora.com. “This intense gloss with high shine is perfect for a night out when you want nude but with lots of drama.”
3. Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss in Chocolate Raspberry, $26, sephora.com.
4. Mac Lipglass in Spice, $15, maccosmetics.com.
-BY LARA ADEKOLA