Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life, so of course you would want to have beautiful, clear, glowing skin. Like everything else worth having, glowing skin is an investment that takes dedication and a strict regimen to achieve. But no worries, we’ve broken the steps down for you!
1. Ask yourself these questions:
- What is my skin type (are you oily, dry, a combination of both)?
- What problems do I want to address (is it hyper pigmentation, acne or redness)?
- Do I have any allergies or sensitivities?
Jot down your answers so you can keep in them on hand when you’re looking for the best products to use, or searching for the best dermatologist to consult with.
2. Cleanse, tone and moisturize. You can always add on other serums and even make appointments for services like facials to ensure a clear complexion. But these three steps are ones you can surely take on your own without help from anyone.
The good thing nowadays is that there are many advances in over the counter and drugstore skin products. Major companies have made it affordable for the everyday woman to obtain clear, glowing skin.
Some brands even offer cool packages that are catered to brides. One that really caught my attention is the bridal kit from Clarins. Their Big Day Beauty Package, which will help you obtain flawless skin in just six weeks, covers all those pesky beauty basics every woman worries about: from getting a smooth even skin tone, to masking under eye circles and fine lines that may appear.
3. Find a great esthetician in your area, set up a consultation, and a series of deep cleansing facials that are specifically tailored to your skin type. When having any type of deep cleaning facials, always remember that the skin will go through what is called a purge process where all those nasty impurities will find their way to the skins surface. Unfortunately, this will sometimes be in the form of acne. It sucks, but this is a process that you have to go through—and believe me it’s well worth it. When pores are clean and clear they are smaller, and can’t give you problems like acne or dullness. Again, most spas have packages geared specifically for brides in regards to a series of facials, just make sure the last facial prior to your wedding is schedule at least 2 weeks before your big day.
4. Microdermabrasion. My final, and optional recommendation is one that many Black women shy away from (mostly because we don’t understand what it really is). Microdermabrasion is a procedure that will help intensely treat acne scars or slight discoloration. I know many people have varying views about this treatment, but it’s a good option as long as you’re having it performed by a reputable esthetician. Here is the rundown: the procedure tricks the body into believing the outer most layer of the skin (the stratum) has been injured or removed, so your body rushes to replace any lost skin cells with new ones, revealing new, healthy skin. If you’re interested in this treatment, I highly recommend going to a reputable spa at least 4-6 months prior to the wedding. If you feel confident enough, you can also try some of the at home kits many brands have to offer.
Obtaining your best skin can be intimidating, sure. But, I assure you that if you follow my steps, pay attention to products, and do your research to find your best dermatologist and/or esthetician, you’ll see an amazing difference in your skin and will feel beyond beautiful on your special day. All the best!
If you still have questions, you can send them my way via Twitter @JustBBeautiful and I would be more than happy to answer!
What's Your Reaction?
Bridal Beauty Expert and Makeup Artist