Remember when your grandmother had her special at-home cure-all remedies that either worked or terrified you? Well, our secret weapon may not be as extreme, but it’s sure to whip your natural strands into shape. Honey—yes the kind currently in your kitchen cabinet—just may be what you need to not only strengthen your hair but add nourishment as well. Using honey alone could be damaging to hair, but adding it to a deep conditioner, co-wash, or even other household food products could work magic. Here are five reasons why honey benefits your natural hair.
1. Humectant properties. Honey is a humectant, which means that it helps attract and retain moisture to your hair. As naturalists, we’re constantly trying feeding our hair nourishment to fight dry hair. Honey replenishes that moisture, as well as fusing vitamins and minerals into strands for healthy results.
2. Fights frizz. A teaspoon of honey mixed with your favorite conditioner fights frizz and adds shine to your hair. It also works wonders for naturalistas with dredlocks. Too much of anything isn’t good, and too much honey (especially if you only use honey) could make hair stiff and hard. But the right combination will leave your kinky strands shiny and flawless.
3. Anti-irritant. If you have a sensitive scalp or you’re constantly fighting itching, tenderness, or hair loss, then honey is definitely the secret ingredient for you. Also used in most skin care regimens, honey exfoliates the scalp and helps fight irritation.
4. Helps prevent split ends. If you have all the right ingredients, you may not have to leave your kitchen to fight split ends. Mix a tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of mayonnaise and an egg, and apply to the ends of your hair. You could also use your favorite hot oil treatment or hair mask with a tablespoon of honey to help prevent split ends.
5. Budget friendly. Natural hair often encourages the urge to become a product junky, because we’re all trying to find the right product that benefits our hair the most. Honey can be purchased at your local grocery story for no more than $4-$7 dollars, and with all the treatment benefits, it’s definitely a steal.
Tweet and Instagram us your favorite hair honey regimen and treatments @EBONYMag.
What's Your Reaction?
Natural Hair Contributor