A look at the political week that was:
- Obama campaign goes for the jugular with new ad titled “Firms” hitting Mitt Romney for his offshore bank accounts and as a pioneer of outsourcing at Bain Capital. Oh, and it features Romney singing the song “America The Beautiful”….badly.
- Mitt Romney takes President Obama’s line about “if you own a business, you didn’t build that,” completely out of context to attack him, and manages to say almost the exact same thing.
- The GOP hopeful is still under intense pressure to release his tax returns. His wife Ann Romney said in an interview with Good Morning America, “We’ve given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and how we live our life.” You people?
- Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-MN) alleges state department official (And former Congressman Anthony Weiner’s wife) Huma Abedin is working on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood. These accusations are so out of bounds even Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said they are unacceptable. SPEAKER BOEHNER!
- Congress fails to pass the Disclose Act, a very important piece of legislation which would require disclosure of big money donors to campaigns.
- House Republicans apparently have nothing better to do than have symbolic votes about limiting women’s access to the birth control pill and other forms of contraception. Jobs anyone?
- Remember Texas Governor Rick Perry? He’s the Republican presidential hopeful that couldn’t remember a list of three government agencies he would eliminate. Now he’s attacking Attorney General Eric Holder for inciting racial tensions for pointing out that voter suppression of Black and Brown people is a problem that has a long history. SIgh.