Another look at the political week that was…
● This week, the Supreme Court gutted the most important civil rights law in American history. Six states are already taking advantage of the weakened Voting Rights Act and are going forward with laws that will likely suppress black and brown votes just in time for the 2014 midterm elections.
● The Supreme Court also declared the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional on equal protection grounds, while they said there was no standing to review the constitutionality of California’s Proposition 8 on the merits.
● As a result, gay couples will now be able to take advantage of the benefits of Obamacare.
● The Supreme Court’s decision will also have an impact on gay couples, where one of the people is undocumented.
● Paid sick days finally come to New York after a long fight.
● Texas’ Republican governor Rick Perry took a cheap shot at Wendy Davis for being a teen mom.
● NSA leaker Edward Snowden is supposedly in Russia and the United States is concerned he will leak more classified information.
● Immigration reform passes a key procedural hurdle in the Senate.
What's Your Reaction?